Chemical acne medications can be expensive and can have side effects. People with sensitive skin can even experience the effects of redness, dryness, or irritation. Instead, there are many more natural ways to treat acne, for example by using salt water.
Salt is often added to skin care products. The shape and name vary according to the type and function of the product. You can find it in scrubs , masks, to shampoos and acne medications. In addition to these products, you can also use it in the form of salt water.
Why is salt water useful for acne?
Acne occurs when skin pores become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Each pore is connected to an oil gland that produces sebum (oil). Excessive sebum production can clog pores and support the growth of P. acnes bacteria .
Bacterial infection causes inflammation so that clogged pores become red, swollen, and painful. Acne formation can be aggravated by genetic factors, certain foods, stress, and hormonal changes .
Salt water does not get rid of acne immediately. However, these natural ingredients can prevent and treat acne in the following ways:
The main benefit of salt water is for exfoliation . Exfoliating aims to exfoliate dead skin cells so they don’t accumulate and clog pores. This is why salt is often used in scrub- shaped skincare products .
The salt scrub granules will remove the dead skin layer on your face. This process not only cleanses the face , but also helps the skin to better absorb skincare products and acne medications.
2. Prevent bacterial growth
Salt can kill bacteria by absorbing the water content in it. When there is a lot of salt outside the bacterial body, water from inside the bacteria will come out in a process called osmosis.
Osmosis aims to equalize the salt concentration inside and outside the bacterial body. This process results in the following:
- Bacterial cells are dehydrated
- The enzymes and proteins in bacteria cannot function
- Bacterial cells lose their structure, then break down
- The bacteria die before they can cause severe skin infections
3. Detoxification and other functions
Salt water is often used to treat acne because it can absorb toxins from the skin. In addition, salt water is also alleged to help improve blood circulation, soften skin texture, and regulate skin moisture and moisture content.
How to use salt water to treat acne
The use of salt water for acne is different from scrubs made from salt . Salt grains can sting your skin, especially if you have a lot of acne. So, just dissolve the salt with water to rinse it on your face.
You can use regular salt, sea salt, or Himalayan salt. Launching the One Green Planet page , the following are the steps to make and use salt water:
- Mix 250 mL of hot (but not just boiling water) that has been filtered with three tablespoons of salt.
- Stir with a spoon until it is completely even. To make this step easier, you can also grind the salt in a blender first.
- Put a clean cloth in the salt water, then apply it to the area of the face with acne . Let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the cloth, then rinse your face with the salt water mixture until it hits the entire face. Do not open your eyes or mouth when rinsing.
- Rinse your face with clean water. Dry the face using a dry cloth by patting.
- Do these steps every morning and night. If the acne condition is severe enough, you can repeat it up to four times.
When using salt water to treat acne, make sure you don’t use a harsh exfoliating product. Exfoliators can remove dead skin cells . However, this product can actually erode the skin when used together with salt water.
If your acne problem doesn’t get better, you may need to look at other factors that are causing it. Avoid foods that trigger acne , get enough sleep, and avoid touching your face to prevent bacterial infection from your hands.