Exercise is one of the requirements that we must fulfill to get optimal health. Exercising every day can make our bodies fitter and can prevent us from various diseases. However, unfortunately there are still many people who are lazy to do it. In fact, exercise can be done anywhere every day and only takes a short time.
How much exercise is recommended per day?
Doing sports or physical activity is one of the pillars of balanced nutrition. Yes, by doing exercise every day, you are helping your body to create a balance between the energy obtained and the energy released by your body.
For that, everyone is advised to exercise every day. You don’t need to be difficult, you can do sports by walking, exercising, jogging, cycling, or playing soccer with friends, and others. In Indonesia alone, it is recommended that you exercise for 150 minutes a week or 30 minutes every day or at least 3-5 days a week.
The US Department of Health and Human Services also recommends getting at least 150 minutes of exercise per week. This can be moderate intensity exercise (such as brisk walking and swimming) or 75 minutes per week in the form of high-intensity exercise (such as running). You can share this time regularly every day.
Generally, you can exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. If you are aiming for weight loss or for a specific fitness goal, you may need to increase your exercise time.
Length of exercise varies depending on body weight conditions
According to Russell Pate, Ph. D, member of the United States dietary guidelines advisory committee, if you exercise for 30 minutes a day. It’s just that you’re still gaining your weight, you need to increase your exercise time to 60 minutes each day to prevent weight gain, as reported by Web MD . And the limit is 90 minutes per day for people who are overweight ( overweight ), lose large amounts of weight, and who maintain long-term weight loss, Pate continued.
So, if you have a normal weight, you just need to do exercise for 30 minutes every day. If you want to control your weight, it is recommended that you do 60 minutes of exercise every day. Meanwhile, if you want to lose weight, you need to do more exercise, namely for 90 minutes every day. Remember, don’t be more than this because too long exercising is not good either.
What happens if you exercise too long?
Doing exercise every day can make the body fit and can also reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases in adulthood. Daily exercise is useful for balancing the energy that enters and leaves your body, so exercise is also useful for maintaining your weight.
However, exercising too long can actually have a negative impact. Exercising for too long can put stress on your body and can even lead to overtraining. Overtraining can cause you to experience prolonged fatigue, muscle and joint injuries, loss of motivation, irritability, and poor sleep quality . In addition, decreased appetite, altering immune function and hormones, and can reduce bone density . To prevent the risk of overtraining, you should add cardio workout sessions instead of exercise to strengthen certain muscle groups to achieve a workout duration of 60-90 minutes.
How can I exercise that long?
For those of you who are just starting to exercise or are not used to exercising, it may be difficult for you to exercise for 90 minutes to lose this weight. Doing 90 minutes of exercise feels a lot longer than if you spend 90 minutes in front of the television, especially for those of you who are not used to exercising. To make it easier for you, here are tips for you to do sports.
- If you have never exercised before, you should start exercising with a duration that is not too long. This helps begin to accustom your body to exercise. You can start exercising with a duration of 25 minutes every day for 6 days and one day you can use it to rest.
- If your body feels that it is getting used to the duration of exercise for 25 minutes, then you can increase it further. The most important thing is that you can maintain your routine to do exercise every day.
- Don’t forget to warm up and cool down while exercising, for about 5-10 minutes each.
- The type of exercise and how much exercise you do (exercise intensity) can affect your exercise results. It’s not always about how long (duration) you do the exercise.
- One more thing that is important is that you have to focus while exercising. What activities you do during exercise time is just as important as how long you exercise. If you spend your exercise time walking on the treadmill while watching television, of course the results are not optimal.
- Remember, it’s best if the duration of the exercise you take is according to your ability, the most important thing is that you do it consistently so that you get the maximum benefit from your exercise. You can also choose the type of exercise that you like and suit you, so that you are comfortable doing sports.