The selection of ingredients and making complementary foods for babies is incomplete if it is not accompanied by proper storage methods. No matter how good the quality of the ingredients you choose and no matter how good the cooking technique for baby solids, of course the results are less than optimal if the storage method is not suitable.
No need to be confused, let’s understand and apply how to store baby solids so that the quality of the nutrients in them is maintained, let’s go!
The importance of knowing how to make and store your own solid solids
After breastfeeding, babies are slowly getting to know solid foods by still being given breast milk and infant formula .
When babies start to learn to eat complementary foods (complementary foods), parents usually consider the types of foods that are right for their little ones.
Selection and feeding of babies is not only intended to make them full, but also to help meet the nutritional needs of babies every day.
In addition to choosing the type or ingredients of food, how to store baby solids is no less important to pay attention to.
So, when the MPASI menu , both a mixed menu and a single MPASI menu , is given according to the schedule, the quality of the MPASI will be maintained.
The process from making to storing baby solids is basically not difficult. In fact, you can actually buy instant MPASI at the nearest supermarket or process MPASI yourself.
Both forms of solid food are both good, so you just need to adjust it to the tastes and needs of the baby.
Before preparing yourself and implementing the method of storing solid foods, know the advantages and disadvantages of making solid baby food yourself.
The advantages of making your own baby solids
Some parents have various reasons why they prefer to make their own baby food, namely:
- Parents know exactly what their babies eat.
- Though not always, homemade baby food is usually considered more economical than store-bought instant solids.
- Parents can choose their own fruits, vegetables and other foods to puree , and do not rely on the flavors provided by baby food manufacturers.
- Babies will get used to eating food that other family members eat, but in different forms.
- Baby solids can last a long time as long as you store them according to the rules.
The downside of homemade baby food
Here are some of the weakness factors that often make parents give up making baby food themselves, namely:
- Time. Parents need time to make and prepare many small portions of baby food. Of course, using prepackaged foods can save you a lot of time.
- Comfort. The amount of packaged baby food must have been measured precisely so that it is ready to be served straight away.
- Storage. Homemade baby food is usually not as durable as instant solids.
Another disadvantage of processed baby solids is that it must be refrigerated so that it can fill the refrigerator.
This of course becomes more difficult when you have made a lot of portions beforehand or don’t have enough storage space.
Meanwhile, packaged baby food or instant solids generally do not need to be stored in the refrigerator unless opened.
How to store the right baby solids?
The way to make baby food for each parent is certainly not the same, and so is the way to store these solid foods.
Some parents prefer to make baby food little by little or just make it at each meal or once a day.
However, there are also those that make enough baby food to be stored for some time to come.
In fact, there is neither right nor wrong about either choice. In fact, when planning to make large portions of baby solids, you don’t need to worry about how to store these foods.
In order to last longer and maintain the quality, apply the right way to store baby solids by placing them in a special storage container.
Storage container or also known as food container is one of the complementary equipment used in storing food.
There are various types of storage containers with various sizes so that they can be tailored to your needs.
You can also put this solid food storage container in the refrigerator or freezer to maintain its durability.
So when the time comes for it to be given to the baby, you can immediately process it according to the portions that have been separated before.
It is important to prepare and serve baby complementary foods from pre-stored foods according to portions.
Avoid placing too much solid food so that it is left behind by your little one. Launching from the Cleveland Clinic , these food scraps can trigger bacterial growth in baby food and make the quality decrease.
Ideally, homemade baby solids should not be left at room temperature for long periods of time. It is best to discard baby food when it has been at room temperature for more than two hours.
How to store complementary foods that need attention
How to store good and correct baby solids is actually not difficult. With a note, you understand these baby food storage rules.
According to the Indonesian Pediatrician Association (IDAI), it is recommended to save baby complementary foods, namely in the following ways:
- Store foods such as meat, fish, eggs, milk, pasta, and vegetables in the refrigerator at less than 5 degrees Celsius.
- Store meat and fish in plastic containers and place them separately from cooked food and ready-to-eat ingredients.
- All food must be stored in accordance with the storage instructions stated on the packaging.
- Avoid processing and serving food that has passed its expiration date.
- Foods that should be refrigerated should not be fed or reprocessed after being at room temperature for two hours or more.
- Food that has been defrosted from the freezer or refrigerator must be processed immediately.
- Cooked frozen foods should not be frozen again.
- Separate knives and cutting boards for cooked and raw foods especially meat, fish, chicken.
- Cooked food is stored at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
Always try to place baby solids in an airtight container then make it a habit to store them in the refrigerator or freezer as the right way.
Unlike solid foods or baby solids that are processed by yourself, instant solids do not need to be stored in the refrigerator as long as they are not opened.
So, don’t forget to reheat the previously stored MPASI when it’s time to eat the baby and let it cool slightly before serving.
Do you need to add spices to complementary foods?
Before applying the proper way to store solid foods, it is okay to add spices during the processing of baby solids.
Spices such as sugar, salt, or micin for babies can be added to food to add flavor.
In fact, the addition of these spices can usually make it easier for babies to eat so they are more enthusiastic about eating their food.
This desire to eat heartily can indirectly prevent babies from experiencing nutritional problems .
Meanwhile, honey for babies should not be given before the age of 12 months or 1 year. However, you can replace honey by adding cheese for babies or fruit juice for babies as a flavor enhancer.
Besides being delicious, cheese and fruit juices also contain a variety of nutrients to complement your little one’s daily needs, including vitamin content for babies .